Monday, November 17, 2008

A month of silence rewarded with laughter

Oh, how silent I've been!

The last y'all heard, I was whining about our truck. Well, the truck got fixed and worked fine for a while. Got stuck again yesterday, but it didn't stay stuck this time, so I am not sure what to think.

But...I decided to see what's been going on in Google Analytics since my last post. And I got a good hearty laugh. It was amusing to me when I saw that Obama scary frightening Halloween actually brought someone to my blog. But the gut busting laughter came with dancing monkey basketballs brain.

WHAT THE HECK??? Dancing monkey basketballs brain. That is so incredibly nutzoid that I can't even imagine what would have possessed someone to type that into Google. What's worse is that there are over 1.2 MILLION search results for that!!! And...of ALL THINGS...I am search result NUMBER TWO. That is just freaking awesome!!!

So what has the last month held for me? Well, mostly work and Chiropractic care. I have been visiting my Chiropractor (also my wife's uncle...so since my back cracker is my wife's uncle, I affectionately refer to him as Uncle Cracker) on a regular basis trying to get some relief from my ever-persistent, never ending sciatic nerve pain and back spasms. The good news is I have been feeling a little better. I have actually had some good days in the past month (by good days I mean days where I didn't necessarily feel like I was in pain all day long). The bad news is that there may not be much more relief than that for me.

You see, another MRI was ordered for me. Turns out my back is getting worse. I guess I am not as closely related to Superman as I'd like to think. All the bending, heavy lifting, and other stupid crap that I think I can somehow do without making my back worse (despite the fact that it DOES put me in excruciating pain) is actually making my back worse (DUH!). So I have to start being a whole lot more careful. Dr Uncle Cracker said I need to avoid lifting things that are over 25 lbs (the computers I order from Dell for our new stores are 25.04 lbs in shipping!!!) I need to avoid doing the things that cause me pain.

It is tough to do that. It's hard to avoid doing things that cause you pain when just about everything you do causes you pain. It's also frustrating to know that you SHOULD be able to do certain things (like help carry some heavy stuff), but you can't because it causes you pain. Right now I am having to do some travelling for work, and it's difficult because the road trips are hard on my back and so are the hotel beds. But...gotta do what I gotta do. I'm going to try to find some good lumbar support for the car and a good mattress topper of some kind for the hotel beds.

So anywho...I just thought I'd post a quick note to let y'all know how I'm doing. I know I've been pretty quiet lately, and it's been mostly because I've been so busy during work that when I get home, I just want to veg out. I haven't had much motivation to blog lately. But, we'll see if I can get back on track.

I'll leave you with this...I found this to be particularly hilarious. I'm not even going to give it an intro other than that...just visit this site.

6 comments:

The Rock Chick said...

Yowsa! I totally feel your pain, my friend. Maybe we could start a Facebook club about it! My husband's back has been bugging him since her started working in IT and having to put this in, that in, install this, etc. I think those IT jobs are more physical than anyone actually believes.

I almost died laughing with that link. Not what I expected at all!!!

Nicole said...

LOL that site was hilarious! BOOM!!!

I'm sorry you have to deal with so much pain Dustin :o( I hope you are able to keep from lifting stuff that causes more pain. When we travel I bring a firm foam mattress that I bought from Ikea. I can never sleep on hotel beds or guest beds. So my poor husband always has to sleep alone when we are away from home :P It sucks, but it is better than me not sleeping more than an hour all night... And then waking up in so much pain that I start to bawl and feel sick the entire trip.

I will be praying for you and your back. I hope Uncle Cracker is able to help you out and bring some relief to your pain. Crystal must have such a hard time seeing you in pain and not being able to do much about it.

Take care Dustin. I am glad you decided to blog again!

Dustin said...

Jessica - I have a feeling that you feel YOUR pain...but I'm certain that it's quite similar to mine!

A. Jannelle - The doctors actually recommended that I don't get pregnant either. Not so much because of the back issues as much as it is the lack of a uterus...but I get what you're saying :-D

Nicole - I am really hoping to find some alternative to the hotel beds. I don't like waking up feeling like my back is about to snap in half. Uncle Cracker is doing some good for me, but it's tough when the frequency of my visits is diminished because of being out of town.

And to both of you who commented on the link I posted...I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. Incredibly politically incorrect, and possibly could land someone in custody if they actually did that...but still...evokes a good hearty laugh!

Stacy said...

You're right- that link was incredibly funny, although doing it on a plane would probably get you arrested (especially since my husband is obviously middle-eastern and tends to get double-checked anyways).
I think you may need a particular sense of humor to appreciate that though.

Dustin said...

Stacy - I'm not sure that you'd need a particular sense of humor to appreciate it as much as perhaps you'd need a particular sense of humor NOT to appreciate it. LOL

Ok, kidding.

Although I haven't had any reactions from anyone I know that they didn't think it was funny or found it offensive, I'm sure there are some out there who would feel that way. I have actually wondered if people of Middle-Eastern descent would find that humorous. Has your husband seen it? Is that something he or his family would find offensive? (Hopefully, it's obvious that my goal is NOT to offend...)

Nicole said...

Ugh... I know the back going to snap in half feeling all too well. I don't know how you travel so often. When my back hurts I can't even stand to be in the car for half an hour. I end up feeling so sick. The thing that has helped me is to constantly do stretches that a physical therapist showed me. And to ride an exercise bike. Honestly 6 months ago I was in constant pain and now I am doing so much better! I can do so much more :o)And I sleep so much better!

Oh, and I do MUCH better not going to the chiropracticruncher anymore. I used to go all the time, but the physical therapist I saw (just once) told me that getting chiropracticrunched was making my body weak and all I needed was to stretch and exercise. Not saying that would work for you. Just saying that is what worked for me!

Oh, and I guess I should say that the whole "Dancing monkey basketballs brain" thing cracked me up too! Some people are just plain 'ol nuts!