Saturday, May 3, 2008

Get Out of My Way!

I have seen a lot of things that have made me wonder if I was daydreaming or if reality was somehow being spliced into an alternate, less believable reality by some rift in the space-time continuum. I had one such occasion just this week.

I was sitting at a traffic light...third in line in the left lane of a one way street. I have seen plenty of people who push the envelope and speed through an intersection only to go through after the lane I was in turned green. That pisses me off...a lot. If I have a green light, I should not be waiting for cross traffic to stop.

Anyway...there was a car that was not speeding through, but somehow (I think) didn't realize that the light had turned. It started through the intersection as the first car in the right lane of the street I was on started to go forward. The result - the driver of the car on my street slamming on his brakes and laying into the horn. The other car stopped abruptly, issued a polite "Oops, I'm sorry" honk...the driver smiled sheepishly and waved at the other driver as he backed into his proper position in his lane behind his red light.

The culprit? A SHERIFF!!! Holy FREAKIN' cow! It was a sheriff! Now I would imagine that MOST of the cops I've seen driving around here would have at least turned on their lights and sped through the intersection...as if to make it look like they were in a hurry to get somewhere and that's why they ran the light. (I have actually seen cops turn their lights on...run a red light and turn their lights off). This guy actually admitted that he was in the wrong and corrected his mistake! Not only that...but I had JUST witnessed someone blaring their horn at a cop and not getting some kind of weird reprimand!

I'm telling you, life doesn't make sense. I just don't think that's something I'll ever witness again. It took some guts for that driver to blast his horn at a cop...but you know what? Good for him! We shouldn't be afraid to stand up for ourselves when we are in the right.

After that...the hole in the space-time continuum sealed back up...

for a short while anyway...

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Skeery!

The Rock Chick said...

Ahhhh, just a reminder that cops are people, too ;)

I'm amazed by this story. I can totally see a cop making a driving error, we all do it, but the fact that someone actually blasted their horn at them and the cop sheepishly backed up cracks me up!

Just when you think you've heard everything!!! LOL